Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights

September 26, 2007

Benally: Nike Opportunism: Turning Native plight into profit?

By Klee Benally (Navajo, Indigenous Action)

Nike has introduced what it is calling the "Air Native N7", a shoe designed especially for us Natives. Not only is Nike proud in producing its first shoe for a "specific" ethnic group, the company is also hoping that this product will help cure diabetes! Before we all start praising this multinational corporation for its recognition and attempt to promote wellness for our Indigenous communities, we should critically question the meaning of this gesture, look beyond their slick marketing scheme, and take a look at Nike's business practices.

Read more:
http://censored-news.blogspot.com/2007/09/nike-opportunism-turning-native-plight.html

UPDATE, BACKFIRE: Nike uses Hurricane Katrina as PR tool

http://media.www.lsureveille.com/media/storage/paper868/news/2007/09/28/Sports/Nike-Uses.Katrina.As.Pr.Tool-2999202.shtml

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I heard this news I knew I want to try these shoes. I have spent a lifetime wearing ill fitting shoes. Speciality and orthotic shoe makers tell me there's nothing 'wrong' with my foot, it just doesn't conform to the standard shoe designs. My foot is exactly as they described the fit they are aiming for: short, very high, very narrow heel; a foot shaped like a v.

I don't care what they call it, No Name or Nike or N7. I'm just glad someone is making it. I have already called and asked to be put on a contact list for when this shoe is marketed here.