Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights

October 21, 2012

Russell Means Update Oct. 21, 2012

Russell Means journeys home
 
Russell Means will be honored in Kyle, South Dakota, on Wed., Oct. 24, 2012, during the first of four gatherings.
http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2012/10/russell-means-solidarity-with.html


The tribal flag at the Oglala Lakota Nation office is flying at half mast today, Tuesday, in honor of Russell Means, whose lifetime of resistance has inspired a generation of Indigenous rights warriors.

---------------------------------------------------------------
October 22, 2012
From Scott Means,
My dad now walks among our ancestors. He began his journey to the spirit world at 4:44 am with the morning star, at his home and ranch in Porcupine. There will be 4 opportunities for the people to honor his life; to be announced at a later date. Thank you for your prayers and continued support. We love you. Ad our dad and husband would say, "May the Great Mystery continue to guide and protect the paths of you and your loved ones".

The wife and children of Russell Means.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oct. 20, 2012
By Russell Means
Reposted from Russell Means Freedom
http://www.russellmeansfreedom.com/2012/rumors/
Censored News
http://www.bsnorrell.blogspot.com
Rumors
Oct. 20, 2012
I have been very moved by the global outpouring of love and support that has been sent to me and my wife, Pearl, since reports of my new illness became public. At times such as this, it is common for inaccurate information and rumors to circulate. A recent rumor that I had passed to the spirit world, is inaccurate. I, like all of us, will eventually join my ancestors, and when I do, my hope is that you will all continue to dedicate yourselves to the work to which I have tried to commit my life — liberation and freedom for my Lakota people, for all indigenous peoples, and, in fact, for ALL peoples. It is true that I am very ill, but my spirit and humor remain strong. Whatever the future holds, the truth is that the work of the TREATY Total Immersion School, the Republic of Lakotah, and the freedom principles of AIM will continue, and hopefully grow. For the most accurate information about me, and my health status, please rely, first and foremost on this website, my official method of communicating to you all. May the Great Mystery continue to watch over you and your loved ones.

Russell Means Facebook page:
"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" --Mark Twain

I would like to thank All my friends and family that have sent out prayers and well wishes for not only myself but also my wife Pearl, children, grand children, and great grandchildren. I continue to appreciate my life, my family and friends, and my people. May the Great Mystery continue to watch over you and your loved ones.

==========================================================
Watch Russell Means speak in April 2012, on Wounded Knee, 40 Years Later
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Knee1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Censored News note:
If any of you might be interested in helping Pearl to defray some of the health and other costs of these times, you can send any support to TREATY Total Immersion Educational Foundation, P.O. Box 99, Porcupine, South Dakota, 57772

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"'Means' Lakota relative / orginizer/resister/warrior, dies at 72:" Dineh of Big Mountain Resistance Community remembers Russ. Well, don't think he'd care if the pop-media calls him "actor-vist," but within the pitiful Indigenous Movements of the U.S., we are (once upon a time) equally warriors / spokesperson / organizer / rancher or farmer and most of all, human beings. First heard Russ speak during the LW1978 in D.C. in front of the Washingtion monument: "We Indian peoples in the U.S. are governed by over 2,000 law policies and no other ethnic groups or society are governed in that way." That shocked me as a young Innden lad. Years later, he kinda shock me again when he commented about the land struggle that we were living on Black Mesa: "AIM cannot get involve in 'intertribal' disputes." Well, I forgave him then, cause major American media still mislead all of Yous, even Nden peoples. Land struggle at Big Mountain is a corporate scheme and fabrication to STEAL Innden water and coal resources! ~Good Journey, Russ, to the Happy Hunting Grounds... --Kat (Bahe)

vivache6 said...

I remember the first AIM representative I met. He was Vernon Bellcourt. It was the 70's and he came to Merritt College in Oakland, CA., to report on the condition of indigenous in the usa. As part of the Chicano Student Union, I was co-chair at the time, we were absolutely thrilled. A few years later I had the privilege to meet and speak with Dennis Banks a couple of times including at DQU. I was never able to meet Companero and Warrior Russell Means. His passing is a loss for millions, tens of millions around our Earth, as was the passing of Vernon. The AIM fighters won the hearts and minds of the majority of the peoples of our planet for the most obvious of reasons. They remained steadfast against armored personnel carriers, M-113's at Wounded Knee (my transport in Nam)and true to their ancestors and all humanity, just like the victorious Viet Cong. These and other AIM leaders will always be remembered and celebrated. jose ricardo carrillo-trujillo, mestizo/Xican@ soldado